After completing the restoration of the Campo Grande railway station, at the end of last year, the historic Vila de Paranapiacaba, in Santo André, will have a new restoration project.
Now, executive projects will be carried out, with maps and textual details, so that the platform for loading and unloading the railway yard will be recovered in the future. The project will collect information, prepare plans, drawings and calculations and plan landscaping for the surroundings.
Built by SPR (São Paulo Railway) in the 19th century and listed by municipal, state and federal preservation agencies, the site will undergo studies that must be completed in July and used to support future works on the site. The area is granted to MRS Logística, which sponsors the project.
The courtyard has a total area of 3,452 square meters, with 465 square meters of built area and integrates the historical and environmental heritage of the railway village. It was listed by Iphan (National Institute of Historical and Artistic Heritage) in 2002, 15 years after being listed by Condephaat (Council for the Defense of Historical Artistic, Architectural and Tourism Heritage of the State of São Paulo). In 2003, it was also subject to protection by the Santo André city council.
The urban nucleus implanted in front of the old Alto da Serra railway station, in the upper part of Paranapiacaba, has architectural and urbanistic characteristics originating from the Luso-Brazilian tradition. The lower part, on the other hand, had constructive techniques used by the English of SPR.
In addition to the technical studies for the recovery of the railway heritage, the potential for the region’s creative economy will be investigated. The structuring of the projects started in January and the objective is to indicate ways to integrate public power and the community to unite the conservation of memory with the sustainable development of tourism and culture.
The project will cost R $ 445 thousand, sponsored by the concessionaire through a law to encourage culture, and developed by Brasil Restauro.
In December, after ten months of work, the restoration of the Campo Grande railway station in the historic village, which had been abandoned for almost two decades, came to an end.
The station was inaugurated in 1889, 40 years before the emergence of the current building, and belonged to SPR, which appeared in 1867 and was a pioneer in São Paulo rail transport.
It stopped transporting passengers in 2002, when the abandonment process was accentuated, and even suffered a risk of collapse due to humidity, dirt, fungi and molds.
The initial forecast pointed to the loss of 90% of the station, with the maintenance of only bricks and external masonry, but after the initial cleaning, the team of architect Fabiula Domingues found that other components of the building were in good condition.
The restoration involved about 40 professionals, cost R $ 1.74 million and was also sponsored by the concessionaire.