The city of Balneário Camboriú (SC) released to the public this Tuesday (28) access to the 2 km stretch already completed for the widening of the sand strip on the city’s central beach.
The finished space, which goes from 4,000 street to the Barra Sul pier, had been completed on the 17th. The city, however, was still carrying out a process of accommodation of the landfill and decompaction of the sand before releasing the use of the beach .
The mega-work, which comprises the expansion of the sand strip from 25 meters to 75 meters –with the possibility of retraction of up to 5 meters after a period of settlement–, is expected to be fully released to the public in November.
According to the city hall, with the stretch already completed, it was possible to verify that the characteristics of the slope at sea are the same as those observed before the work: every 40 meters advanced, the depth increases by 1 meter.
The released section will be monitored daily by the Fire Department’s lifeguards. They make rounds with quads to guide bathers, as there is no fixed observation point in the place.
“Although that region is protected by the hill, with little return current, we asked people to stay close to the sand strip”, says the deputy commander of the 13th BBM (Military Fire Brigade), Captain Marcus Vinícius Abre.
A common fear among residents heard by the sheet is that the expansion of the sand strip, in the future, will be reversed by the advance of the sea. As for Mauro Michelena, professor of oceanography at Univali (University of Vale do Itajaí), this is unlikely to happen.
“If the project follows all the parameters of the environmental impact study carried out, such as the use of the same grain of sand that existed on the beach before the widening, the process of coastal erosion will not happen”, says Michelena.
“It may be necessary to replace the sand in ten or 20 years, but not of this magnitude.”
Mayor Fabricio Oliveira (Podemos) says that the city’s hotel sector has already registered an increase in reservations for the end of the year due to the widening of the sand strip.
“This project has made Balneário one of the most sought after destinations in the country. It gave a different conception of the beach, transforming it into a large open-air park”, says Oliveira.
Balneário Camboriú has 149,227 inhabitants, according to an estimate by the IBGE (Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics), but before the pandemic, it was visited by more than a million people during the New Year celebrations.
The interest of tourists in the city does not seem to be limited to the summer months, in high season. According to a survey by Sort Investimentos, a company specializing in the real estate sector, customer demand for apartments in the city has grown 120% since the beginning of the expansion works, in March.
Another significant increase is seen in the amount charged per square meter of new projects launched along the coast, which is already one of the most expensive in the country.
In Sort’s survey, which uses artificial intelligence to map property ads on websites, the average m² value of properties in this location rose from R$33,500 in April to more than R$40,000 in launches made on the sites. last months.
According to the August report of the FipeZap indicator, which measures the sale price of properties in 50 cities across the country, the average value per m² in Balneário Camboriú is R$8,455.
In the survey, the municipality is only behind Brasília (R$8,503), Rio de Janeiro (R$9,584) and São Paulo (R$9,602).
The sand is collected from up to 40 meters deep in a deposit that is 15 km from the beach. Approximately 13,500 m³ of material is carried by a cistern to the dredger’s junction, about 2 km from the unloading site.
A submerged pipeline then has the final job of bringing the sand to the beach. The sand strip is being widened by about 90 meters to 100 meters per day.
The transport of the new sand to the beach is handled by the dredger Galileo Galilei, a ship of Belgian origin, but which docked coming from Singapore. It is operated by a specialized crew of 28 people, seven of whom are Brazilian. There are also two inspectors hired for environmental monitoring on the vessel.
The execution plan of the current project was funded by a group of local businessmen. The work, estimated at R$66 million, was made possible through a loan from Banco do Brasil.
The widening of the sand strip is just one step in the city’s redevelopment project, which is being finalized by the city hall and will still be discussed with the city’s entities.