Ethiopian soldiers killed an unlimited number of people in Tigray, in a “brutal” manner, and some of them “documented his crime” through his mobile phone, according to an investigation conducted by CNN in cooperation with Amnesty International.
CNN said that it investigated videos dating back to the massacre that took place in the Tigray region last January, and concluded that these clips were filmed by the soldiers who perpetrated the massacre.
The network said that it used geo-location techniques to verify the areas where the videos were filmed, which turned out to be on a mountain edge near Mahibere Dego, where the January 2021 massacre took place.
New video of Ethiopia massacre shows soldiers passing phone around to document their executions of unarmed men#TigrayGenoicde @antonioguterres@POTUS@SecBlinken@JosepBorrellF@10DowningStreet@DominicRaab@Keir_Starmer@DavidAltonHL@tariqahmadbthttps://t.co/9Yjpt2PmLf
– Alemseged Mekonen (@ Alemh04Mekonen) June 27, 2021
And “CNN” revealed that it received the horrific video clips last March, by a media organization in Tigray, the “Tigray Media House”.
Tigray Media House told CNN at the time that Ethiopian soldiers had filmed horrific clips of the killings on their mobile phones.
An organization shared a longer (another) video of the massacre with CNN, in which new details about the atrocities and the soldiers behind them were revealed.
It was identified that the voice in the clip belongs to the Ethiopian soldier who himself filmed the video and who was called “Fafi.”
Fafe, the Ethiopian soldier, revealed during his speech in the video about his brigade and military affiliation.
In the video, the content of which was reported by CNN, “Favi” exchanges the phone with another soldier, takes the gun and shoots, then the phone is exchanged again, while others rush to film the execution of prisoners, and document the crime.
The network said that the office of the Ethiopian Prime Minister, Abi Ahmed, rejected the results of the investigation, and said in a correspondence with CNN: “The social media posts and allegations cannot be considered evidence” of crimes committed in Tigray.
Six months after the attack, two people in Mahibir Daegu, where the massacre took place, told CNN that they had collected the national identity cards of the 36 people who were killed, but that 37 others are still missing, suggesting that the toll of the massacre may be More than double what was initially reported. CNN contacted the Ethiopian government to comment on this information, but did not respond to inquiries.
Ethiopia is under increasing international pressure over a number of reported atrocities in the war-torn northern region of Tigray, which may amount to war crimes.
Thousands of civilians are believed to have been killed since early November 2020, when Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed launched a major military operation against the ruling Tigrayan People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) and dispatched military forces and militia fighters from Ethiopia’s Amhara region.
CNN has previously collected many eyewitness testimonies that Ethiopian soldiers and soldiers from neighboring Eritrea committed massacres, extrajudicial killings, sexual violence and other abuses in the region.
Since January, families of victims in Mahibir Digo say they have not been able to reach the hills due to the continued presence of Ethiopian forces in the area – leaving them with no way to bury their loved ones.
And Eritrean forces disguised in Ethiopian army uniforms prevent the arrival of necessary aid, according to CNN, while doctors say rape is being used as a weapon of war.
And last Friday, the soldiers departed for the nearby region of Aksum, giving local residents a long-awaited opportunity to search for any remains, according to nine people interviewed by CNN who visited the site of the massacre.
Over the course of days, family members of the victims photographed church burials, documented evidence of bullet casings at the site of the massacre and took photographs of the skeletal remains that they sent to CNN.
Some said that even while villagers were collecting the remains of their loved ones, the area came under attack.
Violence has escalated again in Tigray in recent weeks after Tigrayan forces launched a renewed offensive last week.