Parents sue after baseball player falls from top of bunk bed

The family of a Little League World Series player is suing after their 12-year-old son was left critically injured following a fall from a bunk bed in the players’ dormitory in Pennsylvania.

Easton Oliverson, who also goes by “Tank,” suffered a fractured skull and brain bleeding after tumbling from a top bunk inside players’ housing in Williamsport on Aug. 15, just days before he and his teammates for Utah’s Snow Canyon Little League were set to compete in their first game of the series. The 12-year-old has since undergone three operations as well as battled a staph infection, the family’s lawyer, Ken Fulginiti, said Tuesday.

“He’s not doing well. The more recent development, after a third craniotomy, is seizures,” Fulginiti added. “It’s been a long road.”

On Friday, his parents, Jace and Nancy Oliverson, filed a $50,000 lawsuit in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas. It accuses both Little League Baseball Inc. and the bunkbed maker, Savoy Contract Furniture, of negligence for “failing to have rails on the bed,” which could have prevented Easton’s treacherous fall.

“Savoy designed, manufactured, distributed, marketed, and/or sold the bunk beds in a dangerous and defective condition in that they did not contain every element necessary to make them safe for their intended use,” according to the court filing, obtained by CNN.

The parents further alleged that Easton suffered “significant and permanent injuries” as a result.

A spokesperson for Little League Baseball Inc. declined to comment on the pending litigation, but they previously told CNN the league would no longer have bunkbeds in dorms for its players.

“Since 1992, Little League has used institutional-style bunk beds to offer the most space for the players to enjoy their time in the dorms. While these beds do not have guard rails, Little League is unaware of any serious injuries ever occurring during that period of time,” the league said.

“Out of an abundance of caution, Little League has made the decision to remove all bunks from within the dorms and have each bed frame individually on the floor.”

Easton, a pitcher and outfielder for the Snow Canyons, spent two weeks in the hospital before he was allowed to return home on Aug. 30. His family confirmed his arrival on Tuesday on the Instagram page @miraclesfortank, which continues to detail the pre-teen’s medical struggles and victories

“He is resting and adjusting to his recovery away from the hospital,” the post reads. “Please continue to keep Easton in your prayers. He is thrilled to be home, but understands that he still has a very long road ahead.”

news source


Related Articles