Sudan: Professionals Association calls for ending army partnership amid escalation of dispute with civilians

Dubai, United Arab Emirates (CNN) – Members of the Sudanese Sovereignty Council said on Sunday that their military guards tasked with protecting them had been withdrawn, while the Sudanese Professionals Association called for the power-sharing partnership between civilians and the military defined by the constitutional document in 2019, after the overthrow of al-Bashir in The aftermath of a popular revolution that lasted for months.

This comes within the repercussions of the dispute between the civilian and military component of the 11-member Sudanese Sovereign Council.

A few days ago, a failed coup attempt occurred. At the time, the head of the transitional government, Abdullah Hamdok, accused those involved in it of being loyal to the former president.

At a conference held by the Empowerment Removal Committee, on Sunday, Salah Manna, a member of the committee, said: “We were informed of the withdrawal of the joint forces, and the forces were withdrawn from 22 sites” to the committee.

For his part, Muhammad al-Faki Suleiman, a civilian member of the Sovereignty Council, said: “I was not afraid when the guards were removed from me. We know the streets of Sudan and we know its ways… We will defend our government, our people, and the democratic transition until the last drop of blood.”

He continued, “We will not allow anyone to manipulate the fate of this people, because no one will change this equation. Access to the (electoral) fund will be protected.”

According to the constitutional document, the elections are supposed to take place with the end of the transitional period in December 2023.

Meanwhile, Cabinet Affairs Minister Khaled Omar said, “The battle between the protectors of the revolution is against the putschists, whether they are in the military or civilians.”

During the conference, Omar indicated that “two years remain in the transitional period, during which they have tasks that must be accomplished (…) The task of dismantling the former regime and reforming the security, civil and military agencies (…) The constitutional document must be implemented, it cannot be overturned.”

The constitutional document also provides for the exchange of the presidency of the Sovereignty Council between civilians and military personnel, at a time when Al-Faki said earlier that the date of this occurrence was not clear.

Lieutenant-General Abdel-Fattah Al-Burhan heads the Sovereignty Council, which said in a press conference, Sunday, that the army will not turn against the revolution, and that it will withdraw from the political scene after the elections, which he stressed should be held on time.

Meanwhile, the Sudanese Professionals Association, which played a prominent role in the revolution against Bashir, called for “an end to the partnership with the military council and the abolition of the constitutional document to form a purely civilian government.”

He also called for the formation of “a new civilian authority of competencies committed to the line and goals of the December revolution and not an extension of the buried partnership authority,” according to a statement on his Facebook page.

In video statements on Saturday, the First Deputy Chairman of the Sovereignty Council, Muhammad Hamdan Dagalo (Hemediti), alluded to a dispute between the military and members of the civilian component of the Council and the government, due to their refusal to integrate the “remnants” of the Bashir regime into the country’s transition process.

.




The article from the source

Tags

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close